Australian Huntington’s Disease Association (SA & NT) Inc.
Working towards a world without Huntington’s Disease
“Working together towards
a world without
“To strive for the best possible quality of life for people affected by Huntington’s Disease and their families and carers though support, advocacy and education.”
Support: Provide support and information to enable people with Huntington’s Disease and their families to understand and cope with their illness and symptoms, facilitate support networks, operate social/therapeutic weekly programs for Huntington’s sufferers
Advocacy: Lobby for ongoing funding to maintain or expand the provision of services to people with Huntington’s Disease and their families & carers, fight discrimination agaisnt people “at risk”.
Education: Increase community awareness of Huntington’s Disease, provide relevant information to Huntington’s Disease sufferers and their famililies, provide training sessions for carers, health professionals and residential facilities, promote the Association through community participation.
Welcome to our website
The Huntington’s Association was established in 1978 to develop support and educational programs to help people understand and cope, and to give Huntington’s Disease families a single voice.
The Association is managed by a board of Governance consisting of people from the South Australian business community as well as consumers of families affected by Huntington’s Disease.“Over 400 South Australians have Huntington’s Disease”
- Conducts a weekly Day Program for people with Huntington’s Disease.
- Has regular Carers meetings and retreats for families.
- Has Young Carers meetings and retreats.
- Has holiday camps for people with Huntington’s Disease.
- Holds seminars and family support meetings.
- Produces and distributes a wide range of printed materials on the many aspects of Huntington’s Disease.
- Conducts education forums for service providers.
- Distributes a quarterly newsletter, which informs families and health professionals of the latest developments in Huntington’s Disease research.
“Over 2500 more South Australians are at risk”
World Congress on Huntington’s Disease
Attendance at the Marjorie Guthrie Day on September 11, 2011 is free of charge for delegates representing IHA organisations & anyone interested in learning more about Huntington’s disease.
Join others from around the world to share & learn more about: Youth Living with HD- Coping Strategies – Starting a Family (IVF) – Accessing Community – Resources (Support Groups) – Relationships – Living with HD (Carers)
September 11-14, 2011 Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre AustraliaRegistrations will open March 2011.
Please register at www.worldcongress-hd2011.org
So What Is Huntington’s Disease?
Huntington’s Disease is an inherited brain disorder which affects individuals of either sex. It is caused by a dominant defective gene and any child of a person who has the faulty Huntington’s Disease gene has a 50% chance of developing the disease.
Symptoms can appear anywhere between the ages of 2 and 80, but more often between 30 and 45 years. Sometimes the gene has already been passed onto a new generation.
There are physical, cognitive and emotional symptoms of Huntington’s Disease. People usually experience short term memory loss and reduced ability to plan and organise. Emotional changes vary from person to person but may include depression, mood swings and accentuation of existing personality traits.
As the disease progresses the jerking twitching movements are more likely to increase and slurred speech and swallowing difficulties can develop.
People with Huntington’s Disease have at times been falsely assumed to be intoxicated because of their awkward gait and apparent clumsiness.
At present there is no treatment or cure of Huntington’s Disease.
- Empowering Individuals with Huntington’s Disease: Exploring the Benefits of an Integrated Care ModelIntroduction: Understanding Huntington’s Disease and the Importance of Empowerment Huntington’s disease, a devastating neurodegenerative disorder, poses numerous challenges for patients and their families. However, there is hope on the horizon with the integrated care model and the empowerment of patients. The integrated care model brings together various healthcare professionals, including neurologists, psychiatrists, genetic counselors, physical… Read more: Empowering Individuals with Huntington’s Disease: Exploring the Benefits of an Integrated Care Model
- Exploring the Fascinating World of Medical Science: Revolutionizing Healthcare and Improving LivesWelcome to the fascinating world of medical science, where groundbreaking advancements and innovative technologies are revolutionizing healthcare and transforming lives. In this section, we will explore how medical science has made significant strides in improving patient outcomes and enhancing the overall quality of care. The field of medical science encompasses a vast array of disciplines,… Read more: Exploring the Fascinating World of Medical Science: Revolutionizing Healthcare and Improving Lives
- Raising Social Awareness about Huntington’s Disease: Understanding, Educating, and SupportingIntroduction: Shedding Light on Huntington’s Disease and Its Impact Huntington’s disease is a devastating neurological disorder that affects millions of individuals worldwide. It is crucial to raise awareness about this condition in order to promote understanding, support, and research for those affected by it. Huntington’s disease is an inherited disorder characterized by the progressive degeneration… Read more: Raising Social Awareness about Huntington’s Disease: Understanding, Educating, and Supporting
- Understanding the Growing Global Concern about Neurodegenerative Diseases: Causes, Impact, and PreventionIntroduction: The Rising Epidemic of Neurodegenerative Diseases Neurodegenerative diseases have become a pressing global concern, affecting millions of individuals worldwide. Among these debilitating conditions, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and Huntington’s disease stand out as some of the most prevalent and devastating. The impact they have on individuals, families, and communities cannot be underestimated. However, amidst… Read more: Understanding the Growing Global Concern about Neurodegenerative Diseases: Causes, Impact, and Prevention
- Unlocking Your Potential: How to Harness and Enhance Your Existing Personality TraitsPersonality traits play a crucial role in shaping our individuality and determining our success in various aspects of life. They are like hidden gems waiting to be discovered and unlocked, containing immense potential for personal growth and self-improvement. With the help of various tools and strategies, we can enhance these traits to reach new heights… Read more: Unlocking Your Potential: How to Harness and Enhance Your Existing Personality Traits
- Improving the Quality of Life for Individuals with Huntington’s Disease: Effective Strategies and SupportIntroduction: Understanding Huntington’s Disease and its Impact on Quality of Life Huntington’s disease, a neurodegenerative disorder caused by a genetic mutation, has a profound impact on the quality of life and daily living of individuals affected by it. This devastating condition progressively affects both the physical and cognitive functions of those who inherit it, leading… Read more: Improving the Quality of Life for Individuals with Huntington’s Disease: Effective Strategies and Support
- The Hidden Brilliance Behind Apparent Clumsiness: Embracing Imperfection as a Sign of Creativity and InnovationIn a world that often values perfection, it is crucial to recognize the immense power and beauty of imperfection. It is within our imperfections that true creativity and innovation lie, waiting to be embraced. Rather than striving for flawlessness, we should celebrate our unique quirks and hidden brilliance.Creativity thrives in an environment where imperfection is… Read more: The Hidden Brilliance Behind Apparent Clumsiness: Embracing Imperfection as a Sign of Creativity and Innovation
- The Battle Against Neurodegenerative Diseases: Understanding, Prevention, and TreatmentIntroduction: The Rising Global Concern of Neurodegenerative Diseases Neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and Huntington’s, are a growing concern in today’s society. These debilitating conditions affect the brain and nervous system, leading to a progressive decline in cognitive function and motor skills. Neurological disorders encompass a wide range of conditions that affect the brain… Read more: The Battle Against Neurodegenerative Diseases: Understanding, Prevention, and Treatment
- Understanding the Science Behind Gene Therapy: How It Works and Its Potential ImpactIntroduction: Exploring the Revolutionary Field of Gene Therapy In the realm of medical advancements, gene therapy and gene editing have emerged as groundbreaking technologies with the potential to revolutionize the treatment of genetic disorders and diseases. Through targeted DNA modification, scientists are now able to address the root causes of these conditions, offering hope for… Read more: Understanding the Science Behind Gene Therapy: How It Works and Its Potential Impact